Re: Current State of Debian Sparc Port

"Douglas" == Douglas F Elznic <delznic@acm.org> writes:

Douglas> Hello, With the regretful demise of redhat for sparc i am

What regretful demise of redhat for sparc????!

Douglas> wondering if it is going to become a lost cause. What is the
Douglas> current situation for the debian sparc distribution. I also

Debian is trying to go for an all-glibc release as its first sparc
distribution, which is posing problems because glibc itself is iffy.
More debian developers joined the effort in December, attempting to
autocompile as much of the "hamm" dist as possible while the core
developers work the bugs out of gcc, binutils, and libc6.

The main problems are these:

  * select() isnt working properly, which breaks glibc versions of
    perl, proftpd, apache, and probably much more I haven't tried.

  * bash 2.01 and its libreadline cant be compiled because it comes
    out linked against both libc5 and libc6; same with ncurses3.4.

However what is compiled works well.  I consider my SparcStation 20
experiment a success -- the vast majority of its 1500 shell users
never realized that SunOS 4.1.3 was gone.

Linux tln 2.0.27 #2 Wed Feb 5 16:01:42 EST 1997 sparc unknown
 12:48am  up 39 days, 11:47h, 45 users,  load average: 2.41, 2.32, 2.18

The load is so high only because I'm in the middle of compiling
glibc-sparc-2.0.90-971126.deb; I've been compiling sparc packages for
a few hours now.  This is why your message comes as such a shock.  :-)

(My theory here is it might help if /lib/ld-linux.so.2 wasn't linked
against libc5.)

---------------------  PGP  E4 70 6E 59 80 6A F5 78  63 32 BC FB 7A 08 53 4C

   __ _    Debian GNU         Johnie Ingram <johnie@netgod.net>      mm   mm
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __        "netgod"     irc.debian.org          mm mm
/ /__| | | | | |_| |>  <      Those who do not understand UNIX       mm   mm
\____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\     are doomed to repeat it, poorly.       GO BLUE