Re: Please test: Netscape 4.73 packages with CJK support

[Apologies for private mail to so many people.]

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 10:04:19AM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:05:00PM -0600, Anthony Fok wrote:
>
> > I am glad that you somehow found out "-deferglyphs 16".  :-)  This option
> > "defers" the loading of 16-bit glyphs e.g. large CJK and Unicode fonts.
> > Otherwise, X would try to load the _entire_ font (with 14000+ glyphs)
> > into the memory all at once.  This soon crashes the X font server,
> > and since X can't talk to the font server any more, it just freezes whenever
> > a font is requested.  At this state, X would use up all the CPU resources,
> > probably trying desperately to talk to a non-existent font server.  :-)
>
> If I understand your description correctly this option is never harmful but
> very useful for some setups. Don't you think that the Debian setup should
> pass this option per default? In that case please ask Branden if he can
> do that (or file a bug, severity wishlist, on xserver-common).

-deferglyph 16 has been in place in the default /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file
for quite a while.

I am adding "deferglyphs = 16" to the default xfs config file for 3.3.6-10.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Communism is just one step on the long
Debian GNU/Linux                |    road from capitalism to capitalism.