Re: Please test: Netscape 4.73 packages with CJK support

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:05:00PM -0600, Anthony Fok wrote:

> I am glad that you somehow found out "-deferglyphs 16".  :-)  This option
> "defers" the loading of 16-bit glyphs e.g. large CJK and Unicode fonts.
> Otherwise, X would try to load the _entire_ font (with 14000+ glyphs)
> into the memory all at once.  This soon crashes the X font server,
> and since X can't talk to the font server any more, it just freezes whenever
> a font is requested.  At this state, X would use up all the CPU resources,
> probably trying desperately to talk to a non-existent font server.  :-)

If I understand your description correctly this option is never harmful but
very useful for some setups. Don't you think that the Debian setup should
pass this option per default? In that case please ask Branden if he can
do that (or file a bug, severity wishlist, on xserver-common).

Thanks

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member