Re: Debian joning OASIS?

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 07:59:55AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > It is Debian's right and responsibility to approve this donation.  My
> > role as SPI Treasurer is twofold:
> > 	1) try to ensure that it's legal for SPI to make the expenditure;
>
> I should have been more explicit in my question:
>
> If SPI recieves >= $1000 donations with a specific request that the
> donations be spent only to purchase an OASIS membership for Debian, can
> the purchase then be made w/o getting formal majority approval for the
> Debian members?

As SPI Treasurer, I would ask the Debian Project Leader to approve the
donation.  It would not be appropriate for SPI to act on Debian's behalf
*even when* funds are available, without explicit authorization from
Debian.

In the event of an internal dispute, as SPI Treasurer, I would accept
the outcome of a General Resolution overruling the Project Leader as
authoritative.  Anybody who cares to read more about this unlikely
scenario should read the Debian Constitution.

In short, it's not about the money, it's about the fact that Debian's
assets are held in trust by SPI, and SPI can only dispose of those
assets as directed by Debian.

A group of three or four people could band together to buy "Debian" a
membership in, for instance, the National Rifle Association, and send
SPI the money.  That doesn't mean SPI should go ahead and write the
check on their say-so.

To conclude: you need to persuade the DPL, not the SPI Treasurer.  :)
<inappropriate political joke>
Or you can vote for me and save yourself some time in the future! ;-)
</inappropriate political joke>

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Reality is what refuses to go away
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     when I stop believing in it.