Re: Debian joning OASIS?

On 11-Mar-02, 11:24 (CST), "Chad C. Walstrom" <chewie@wookimus.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 11:07:04AM -0500, Mark Johnson wrote:
> > Because they can't afford it. The members services director informed
> > me that the $1000 membership fee is mostly subsidized by the
> > for-profit members, and doesn't cover the true costs of the
> > membership.
>
> Can we get a detailed budget and fee break-down from this organization
> to verify their logic for charging non-profits the $1000?

And out come the trolls and nitpickers from woodwork.

Their logic is that any organization with the interest and capability
of making a contribution is probably able to kick in $1000. They're
not required to justify it to you. The normal (for-profit) fee is
$5000-$9500. (I'm surprised it's that cheap.)

Mark, you'll never get this done if you try to get agreement from
everyone. The ideal way would (probably) be for the interested people to
donate the money to SPI, earmarked specifically for "Oasis membership
for Debian"[1], and have them pay. Then you guys get a tax break,
and the nitpickers can't bitch about misappropriation of funds. I
assume this is an annual fee, so you'll probably need to generate some
justification to keep it ongoing. (Or, just get enough people interested
to keep the dedicated fund full.)

Steve

[1] Talk to Branden Robinson (probably secretary@spi.org) to make sure I
haven't just suggested something illegal...

--
Steve Greenland