Re: Debian joning OASIS?

On Monday, March 11, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

> I have a propostal I believe would benefit OASIS as a whole: why
> doesn't OASIS accept Debian as an associate without requiring any
> payement?

Because they can't afford it. The members services director informed
me that the $1000 membership fee is mostly subsidized by the
for-profit members, and doesn't cover the true costs of the
membership.

BTW, this is similar to the way the the tuition pricing model works
for US state universities - student tuition & fees do not cover the
true costs of attendance.

> given the completely non-profit nature of Debian, that makes sense
> to me.

Me, too. But the idea's a no-go.

I already pursued that path and was informed that the $1000 membership
fee is mostly subsidized by the for-profit members.

The $1000 fee is as low as we can get. Trust me on this.

Mark
Mark Johnson        <mark@duke.edu>
Debian SGML         <mrj@debian.org>
Home Page:          <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: 50DF A22D 5119 3485 E9E4  89B2 BCBC B2C8 2BE2 FE81