Re: Unusual spam recently - hummm - postprocess

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 03:47:55PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
The utility of SPF lies in its ability to eliminate joe-jobbing,
providing a means to validate MXes -- and, as I'm reasonably sure you'll
have observed, forged mail's envelopes strongly tend to forge the
domains of major (very large) mail-handling sites.  Those sites happen
to have been among the earliest adopters of SPF RRs in their DNS,
largely because they are particularly motivated to protect their
trademarks and their names.

yeah, aol's pleased as punch about it. they also don't have much
interest in customers sending email with @aol from off their own system
unless they use an obnoxious webmail client. same goes for hotmail.
anyone with users who isn't aol and whose users don't particularly want
a webmail client needs to give things more thought.

So, adding handling for SPF RRs in one's MTA yields significant
advantages today, despite the technology being new, because _all_ of the forgemail claiming to be from aol.com, msn.com, hotmail.com, pobox.com,
etc. can be detected all in one step.

Well, I guess the spammers will have to use different addresses. That
shouldn't take long.

Mike Stone