Re: [work] Integrity of Debian packages

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 02:09:02PM -0500, Gary MacDougall wrote:

> You can quote Ben Franklin all you want,  but Ben Franklin's world was a
> far simpler, easy to
> undersand and clearly not as geographical world as ours is today.
>
> I'm sure if Ben was alive today, he'd have a much more "updated" and
> relative quote than a quote
> that was intended for the times he lived in.
>
> Quoting someone who lived in the 1700's is certainly interesting, but
> rememeber, these are the same
> folks that enslaved blacks and killed Indian's.  Time's have changed,
> the world is different.

 I do admit that you have a point there.  If the US founding fathers had
said things that supported revoking freedoms, I and others would be
complaining of their irrelevance to todays world.  It's still and
interesting idea, but it's not at all a complete argument for freedom.

> [...]
>
> Let's face it, the original thread mentioned the FBI and CIA snooping
> and gaining information
> about us and being "big brother" ala 1984.  I don't fear that at all, I
> feel confident.knowing that
> there is an organization trying to stop terrorists, bad guys or
> whatever.  If it takes me giving up
> some of my freedom's knowing my children will be safe -- so be it.
>
> My quote was wrong, I should have said "the price OF freedom has A
> cost".  My feeling has
> alway's been that you can't have Freedom without having paid for it in
> some way.

 How about "the price of freedom is significant/high/dear"?

> We're paying right now by letting some of the little things of our
> Freedom go.  It's a small price
> to know when I wake up everyday, I can still be "free" to do what I
> enjoy doing, live where I
> want,

 According to some, the US has become a police state for some minorities,
and for the unfortunate few who are (rightly or wrongly) suspected of
something.  Doing that to them so you can be "free" doesn't seem fair.  I
wouldn't turn my country (Canada) into a police state for some residents no
matter what.  I would rather be killed by terrorists than live in a police
state.  (Of course, I'm not going to go out and kill myself, because I know
that wouldn't actually prevent a police state.)

 The thing you have to remember is that some of the things put into place
will hit some people more than others.  You might not want to visit
relatives in Afghanistan, but some people do.  Giving up their freedom for
your safety seems to be what is going on, but people don't seem to admit that.

> vote for who I want etc.

 Too bad so few sane people ever make it onto a ballot in the first place,
in the US or Canada.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y