Re: gnupg problem

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 11:29:15PM -0300 , Peter Cordes wrote:
>  If mailcrypt can be installed and do useful stuff without any
> packages from non-free installed, then it should itself be in main,
> shouldn't it?

in non-US/main. yes. I think, that people still threat non-US/main as
something ugly, that nobody will ever see or use, so they try to get it into
contrin to not have it in, god forbid, some strange non-US server (OK, I
have sometimes also this attitude_

>  What would happen in a similar situation where all packages involved
> were already in main?  Someone else pointed out that we should think
> about the general case of this problem, and have a way to deal with
> it.  The fact that mailcrypt is currently in contrib lets us sort of
> wriggle out of the problem, in this specific instance of the problem.
> Does proposed-updates get merged when new sub-releases (e.g. r3) are
> made?  If so, then putting packages there does it.  If not, then the
> updated packages that the new security-fix package depends on must
> become part of potato somehow.

of course. I don't see a problem. You just include fixed package together
with incorporated security update

>  IMHO, security fixes should still go into security.d.o ASAP, without
> waiting for packages that depend on them to be updated, but those
> packages _do_ need to be updated.

nobody ever said anything else. fixed mailcrypt is in proposed-updates, so I
don't see the problem. maybe it was not at the exact time, as gnupg fix ...

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

<Myth> the UNIX trademark has changed hands so much no one is quite sure who really owns it anymore