Re: Blends framework for Debian Math (Was: Science Subgroups [was Re: Debian Math Team])

Torrance, Douglas <dtorrance@piedmont.edu> writes:

> On Thu 04 Nov 2021 12:06:47 PM EDT, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
>>> All mathematics
>>> packages? How do the categories work, and what conditions warrant a new
>>> category?
>>
>> You need to ask the mathematicians what might be sensible tasks.
>> The tasks mathematics and mathematics-dev are definitely non-sense
>> but it was the easiest way for me to kickstart something.
>
> One possible source of task categories is to use the American Mathematical
> Society's Mathematics Subject Classification [1].  This is already used to
> classify academic papers, and the problem of classifying mathematics
> software is certainly similar.
>
> Doug
>
> [1] https://mathscinet.ams.org/mathscinet/msc/msc2020.html

I think that's a really good idea! That classification – while seemingly
complicated to outsiders – is probably quite well-known to anyone
interested in the mathematics Debian tasks in the first place.

I will try to categorize the few packages I maintain myself, and issue a
merge request so that there are examples for people to go by.

 Best,
 Gard