Re: Debian Math Team

"Torrance, Douglas" <dtorrance@piedmont.edu> writes:
> I went ahead and started a draft of a team policy including this as
> the Maintainer address [1].  It's just a fork of the Debian Science
> policy and still needs a lot of work.  The source is at [2].  Please
> feel free to suggest/make changes!

I'd really disagree here. We should avoid a fragmentation of the policy
without a really good reason. This makes it difficult for people to step
in, as they have to learn all the small differences in the team
policy. And it is hard to find them in the full text.

Instead, I would suggest to keep (and improve) the Science Team policy,
and then to have a *tiny* Math team policy, which could just be a
5..10-liner, like

| We inherit the Science Team policy, except:
| * The maintainer field should be set to
|   "Debian Math Team <team+math@tracker.debian.org>".
| * The VCS location is in the Salsa namespace
|   https://salsa.debian.org/math-team/

Having many nearly-identical policies for relatively small teams
otherwise creates problems in consistency, and I am afraid that useful
changes are not always "upstreamed" to the science umbrella otherwise.

I would also suggest (also for the science team policy) that a package
under team maintainance *must* be git version controlled and under the
team's namespace.

I would (again, also for science team) not put the metapackages into the
policy, as the policy should remain rather stable, but the metapackages
are ongoing work.

Cheers

Ole