Re: Bug #866601: RFS: segyio package is ready

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 01:54:27PM +0000, Jørgen Kvalsvik wrote:

> A final question - we plan on releasing new versions rather often, with small feature
> scopes and no breaking changes (without bumping the major number at least,
> although I cannot imagine any backwards-incompatible changes in the near
> future). This obviously includes bugfixes.

Ok. Note that since libsegyio is packaged as a shared library, you should also
be careful not to break the ABI (or, if you do, please bump the SOVERSION,
keeping in mind that SOVERSION and package version number can and generally do
evolve independently).

> When new versions are release, should I personally upload the changes to the
> debian-science/packages/segyio repository, or should some debian maintainer
> do that at his own discretion?

The package is maintained by the Debian Science Team, so this means that the
team as a whole is responsible for the package. But since you are listed in the
Uploaders field, you are the main person in charge of the maintenance of the
package, so you are supposed to do the uploads yourself (under the sponsorship
of a Debian Developer until you become a Debian Maintainer or Developer
yourself). Uploads by other people are not very likely, unless your package
attracts some attention (either because your package gets a lot of users, or
because it becomes the dependency of another package).

So the simple answer is: please take care of it (and please let us know if/when
you no longer care about it, in which case either somebody will step up and
maintain it, or it will get removed from Debian at some point).

In particular, you should make sure that you receive bug reports against
segyio. You can either subscribe to the list
debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org (which is high traffic,
because it gets the bug reports of all packages maintained by the team); or you
can subscribe to segyio on http://tracker.debian.org (once it appears there,
i.e. after your upload has been accepted).

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer