RE : RE : RE :cctbx debian package

Hello
De : Radostan Riedel [raybuntu@googlemail.com]
Date d'envoi : jeudi 12 juillet 2012 16:39
À : debian-science@lists.debian.org
Objet : Re: RE : RE : RE : RE : RE : cctbx debian package

On Thu, 12. Jul 09:51, Baptiste Carvello wrote:
> I'd rather propose another solution:
>
> step1: build the shared libraries with scons
>
> _either_ step1.5a: build the extensions with a custom setup.py "build"
> command that calls scons under the hood

In that case we just need to be sure that it is possible to build with the right
python version.
for now python 2.6 2.7 and 3.2 are supported.

in fact when you build your package with

dh --with python2, it just call python2.x setup.py build which did the right things linking to the right python runtime.

If their scons build system allow to do that, it is ok.

so to be minimalist we need to be able to build the python extensions for different kind of python version.

dh_python2 is just an helper that put the python file at the right place in the packages once they have been installed by the
dh_auto_install target.

> _or_ step1.5b: build the extensions with scons and copy the results to
> the correct distutils build directory
>
> step2: use dh_python2 with "setup.py install" to install the extensions
> at the right place

> > Both step1.5a and step1.5b have their problems (1.5a implies digging
> > into distutils internals, 1.5b might be a little bit brittle), but I
> > think that's the best strategy. If nobody objects, I will experiment
> > with this until the begining of next week and report back if it works.
> And also have look at this example[1]. We can specify Install targets in Scons
> so maybe we wouldn't need a setup.py for the extensions. I Would just leave it for
> the modules. The other possibility is to use "package_data" dict in
> setuptools[2]

If I remember correctly using plain distutils is the prefer way to build3install packages.

cheers

Frederic

Ps: I am building the current package and I have this warning

libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib'

I add also the boost_python problem on the wiki.