Re: Proposal: Debian Science mailing lists

Le mercredi 22 juin 2011 à 10:20 -0400, Adam C Powell IV a écrit :
> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 13:29 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 08:33 -0400, Manjusha Joshi wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Brett Viren <bv@bnl.gov> wrote:
> > >         Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> writes:
> > >
> > >         > == Proposal ==
> > >         >
> > >         > I would like to propose the following:
> > >         > * move all packaging related discussions to
> > >         > debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org
> > >         > * use debian-science@lists.debian.org only for user oriented
> > >         discussions
> > >         > * make sure that all the commit mails are sent on
> > >         > debian-science-maintainers-commits@lists.alioth.debian.org

[...]

> FWIW I agree with Drew on this.  It's hard to segregate user queries
> from packaging queries, and many "user discussions" probably belong on
> the lists of the individual projects, as Manjusha mentioned this
> morning.  (Indeed, I see a lot of Debian- and Ubuntu-related questions
> on forums such as FreeCAD and Elmer.)
>
> Debian is about packaging software, not generating it, and users who
> come to Debian lists will probably want to discuss that packaging, not
> the software itself.
You are probably right with this argument...

> Can the proponents of this proposal please
> describe what kinds of discussions would belong on debian-science if we
> decide to make the change?
I was more thinking about people exchanging about already packaged
software. For example, "what is the best software for CFD available into
Debian ?", "Is there any connector between XX and YY ?", etc.

Sylvestre