Re: Proposal: Debian Science mailing lists

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 17:26 +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le mercredi 22 juin 2011 à 10:20 -0400, Adam C Powell IV a écrit :

> [...]
>

> > FWIW I agree with Drew on this.  It's hard to segregate user queries
> > from packaging queries, and many "user discussions" probably belong on
> > the lists of the individual projects, as Manjusha mentioned this
> > morning.  (Indeed, I see a lot of Debian- and Ubuntu-related questions
> > on forums such as FreeCAD and Elmer.)
> >
> > Debian is about packaging software, not generating it, and users who
> > come to Debian lists will probably want to discuss that packaging, not
> > the software itself.
> You are probably right with this argument...
>
> > Can the proponents of this proposal please
> > describe what kinds of discussions would belong on debian-science if we
> > decide to make the change?
> I was more thinking about people exchanging about already packaged
> software. For example, "what is the best software for CFD available into
> Debian ?", "Is there any connector between XX and YY ?", etc.

This makes a lot of sense -- comparing, say, CFD software or statistical
packages packaged for Debian, is something users might want to discuss
without the overhead of all the packaging talk.  I've seen similar
discussions on CAD packages.

But beyond this, such a discussion would probably turn to "I like
package A better than B, because B doesn't have feature X," to which the
reply might be "B has feature X upstream, but it's not implemented in
the Debian package."  After which they'd be politely pushed to the
packaging list, and the discussion in the archives would be split
between two lists.  I could see this happening often.

So FWIW I'm not quite convinced.  But of course I'll go along with the
decision of the majority/consensus -- if I see more packaging
discussions on d-s-m than d-s, then I'll start my new threads there.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/