Debian Science Policy: First draft online and open for discussion

Hello Debian Science,

a first draft of the Debian Science Policy is now available in the Debian
Science repository and can be checked out with:

  git clone git://git.debian.org/git/debian-science/policy.git

For easier reading, you should transform the document into XHTML. You can
simply run "make" to do so. (You do need to install the "xmlto" package, if
you don't have already.) The result is in the html/ sub-directory.

Sylvestre Ledru and I worked on that during the last days. This document is a
*draft* and we would like to hear your feedback on it! We were not sure if
everything is reasonable while writing it but tried to write down what
appeared to be best practices and/or "common sense". Of course, all points
are open for discussion and can be changed if we find a consensus. We hope
that especially those familiar with Git would comment on the VCS section. I
tried to write down what I found reasonable and git-buildpackage (mostly)
does. To those not yet familiar with Git: The HowTo will of course be
written, so you can follow it and learn Git. (It's not hard.) But it was
important to us to get a (mostly) complete draft out soon. (The HowTo will
match the Policy, of course.)

Besides the points mentioned in the document, the following points have to be
addressed:

1. What license should we use for the document?
2. Git usage: Should tags be signed?
3. How will the document be maintained?

For point 1, I personally propose the GPL v3 (or later). But I do not have
strong feelings about that.

For point 2, I personally do not see a real benefit of doing so, so I would
suggest it but not enforce it.

For point 3, Sylvestre and I have strong interest in maintaining the document
and would welcome anyone with a serious interested in it to help us. Writing
documents is usually not much fun and as you can see, a lot of it still needs
to be written. If you are interested, please email us! For changes of this
document Sylvestre and I think that a workflow similar to the Debian Policy
is reasonable, since most developers are already familiar with it. We would
act as a "gatekeeper" and lead discussions on critial sections, summarize the
result and propose a wording that should be seconded by people involved in
Debian Science. After that, we would include the change into the document.
One way to organize that is to package the policy as Debian package and use
the BTS for proposals. Your feedback on that is welcome!

We hope that you have no trouble reading and understanding the document. Both
of us are not native speakers and some parts of the document were written in
the night-time. We also did not want to sound bossy, and
every "should", "must" and "has to" is negotiable. It's a draft, after
all. ;)

One last point: We think that discussions about packaging topics should go to
the d-s-maintainers@l.a.d.o mailing list. But because not very much people
are subscribed there yet, we sent the announcement here. We encourage you to
subscribe to the maintainer mailing list. (And if the discussion gets to
noisy here, we probably should take it there.)

Best regards,
Manuel