Re: Debian Science Policy: First draft online and open for discussion

* Manuel Prinz <debian@pinguinkiste.de> [080528 00:34]:
>   git clone git://git.debian.org/git/debian-science/policy.git

> Besides the points mentioned in the document, the following points have to be
> addressed:
>
> 1. What license should we use for the document?

Is there so much in the worth protectable? Otherwise making it public
domain or basically public domain looks also like a choice to consider.

Suggestions about the draft:

| The <ulink url="http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat";>
| machine-readable format</ulink> must be used.

That format has still quite a bit of "yet to be discussed" in it.
It also has still quite some shortcoming with complicated distribution
about Copyright owners. That about a ", as long as expressable this
way." added to this?

| The <varname>DM-Upload-Allowed</varname> should be included and set to
| "yes".

I do not think adding this field as along as there are no Uploaders is
that sensible. I'd rather suggest some rule that this field should not
be removed without the consents of the "Uploaders" or something like
that. (Because I definitly will not sponsor/upload any package with this
header set unless the header and the same set of uploaders is already in the
archive (and even then only with feeling pain)).

| but <ulink url="http://packages.debian.org/cdbs";>CDBS</ulink> is preferred.

Just my 0.02¢ vote against this. (Or at least mention debhelper as equal).

* Other stuff:

I'm missing something explicit about general comitt rights/etiquette.
Can anyone add himself to the Uploaders of every package? Who is allowed to
make which modifications to which packages's repository? Are obvious
non-intrusive fixes in other people's packages in the project ok?
And stuff like that.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link