Re: {debian, pkg}-science repository [Was: Science linguistics and debian-science SVN repository at alioth]

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Bryan Bishop wrote:

Hey there; if I wanted to get started with the a list of related
projects and the programs to be categorized in some ontology on the
wiki, where would I start?

I think starting with a Wiki is the wrong approach because it becomes
outdated very quickly.  We made the experience in the Debian Med team
where at first we listed our relevant packages on static pages which
turned out to be unmaintainable.  Somebody started a competing Wiki and
it turned out that both "competing" techniques were featuring different
content (something was missing on any page) and so both techniques
failed to stay up to date with the evolution of the Debian pool.

The final solution we really found is an automatik update of web pages
(twice a day).  The web pages for the Debian Med team are controlled
by so called tasks files that contain all software (not only existing
Debian packages) that is known to us and might be interesting for the
project.  I it happens that some developer builds a package for Debian
and it hits the Debian pool the automatic script will detect this change
and thus the resulting web page becomes up to date just in time.  IMHO
there is no other chance to track down the changes.  You can have a
look on this at

    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/

I'm constantly busy to enhance the script and some very interesting
features (like translations using DDTP stuff) are on my todo list.
The script works as well for Debian Edu, Debian Science and Debian GIS -
I just pointed in the past to the links and I can repeat if needed,
but currently there is no cronjob installed.  (If there is a volunteer
to install the cron job - just go for it!  I for myself would put
some more effort in the script itself before installing a general cron
job - but if anybody likes the current state - there is nothing against
it.)

What sources would I trudge through to find this information?

   http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/

I'd be interested in doing a broad review of all
debian-science software packages in the repo,

What about

   http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/

I would be VERY keen on hearing your opinion what you think needs
enhancement and in which direction you would change this.

but know that apt-cache
search science will not bring up everything.

Apt-cache can't do this job because it is not made for it.  You might try

    ept-cache search science

(the 'e' is no typo!!).  It is based on DebTags and this might be your
other chance if you are interested in an ontology.  It might be that we
try to work out some means to generate / complete the currently static
tasks files from DebTags.