Re: electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion)

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 09:46 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 11:58:34AM -0800, Jordan Mantha a écrit :
> >
> > I've got a patch sitting on my laptop to the xdg spec to add "Science"
> > as a Main category. I think this has been coming for a long time now (I
> > emailed the xdg list ages ago about the possibility [0]) but never got
> > around to sending them a patch. I think it carries much more weight when
> > it's not just one weirdo ;-)

I've been in contact with Werner Hoch, the SUSE Electronics packager,
and he is supportive.

Additionally, one of our developers (when I told him about the problem)
was keen to email / ask whoever appropriate to push for possible
adoption of better menus.

I'm still of the opinion "Electronics" doesn't quite fit - Ok, it does
under "Engineering" I guess, but its not our preferred designation.

There is also "Ham radio" which doesn't fit in any of the proposed
categories.

Perhaps it is useful to "fix" the override order for the xdg menus,
addressing the issues Joss had with the "overrides" mechanism, and just
start packaging up some optional extra menus users / packages can pull
in.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,