Re: electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion)

Margarita Manterola wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Le Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 05:24:50AM +1100, Andrew Vaughan a écrit :
>>> As a user technical seems awkward and unintuitive to me.  I would rather it
>>> was called Science and Engineering.
>
> As a user and package maintainer, I think "Science and Engineering"
> sounds much better than "Technical".
>
> Whatever the name, I think this should be presented to the freedesktop
> people soon. Don't let it stale.

I've got a patch sitting on my laptop to the xdg spec to add "Science"
as a Main category. I think this has been coming for a long time now (I
emailed the xdg list ages ago about the possibility [0]) but never got
around to sending them a patch. I think it carries much more weight when
it's not just one weirdo ;-)

I wonder though if "Science & Engineering" will be too long in menus.
currently I think the longest is "Audio & Video" I was thinking maybe
"Scientific" so as to not imply "Science" as a narrow subject (Physical
Science, et al.) but then it's not a noun anymore :/

If it matters at all the MOTU Science team (science maintainers in
Ubuntu) would very much like to see this done too. We discussed using
"Science" before as what we'd like but there hasn't been a lot of
discussion lately and would defer to Debian as upstream in this regard.

-Jordan

[0] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2007-June/008451.html