Re: Installing the whole set of scientific packages

Meyer wrote:
> > El Lunes 12 Febrero 2007 23:49, Damián Viano escribió:
> > > 	I think a tasksel task would also be very reasonable approach here,
> > > and, maybe be easier to maintain than a meta-package?
> > >
> > > 	It would also be nice since is quite a specific task and one would be
> > > prompted during d-i which would pretty much make Debian science-ready
> > > out of the box.
> >
> > Complicated to do? I _never_ did something related to debian packages,
> > but perhaps it's a good time to start :-)
>
> Not really, /usr/share/doc/tasksel/README.gz should explain everything
> needed. I see two options: we could start with a simple list of packages
> or an automatic way, such as a script consulting debtags info.

Well, I am reading tasksel's README.gz. Some things I found:

* To get a new task added to Debian, please file a bug report on tasksel.

So we make a list (or perhaps a tree, to follow Carlo Segre's suggestion) of
the packages we would like into the tasksel and send the bug report?
Is there another way to not overload tasksel's maintainers (and perhaps, be
more independent)?

* In Debian, we mostly use the "task-fields" method, which is built into
tasksel, and looks for Task fields in the control data of available
packages, that list the name of the task. Another available method is
"standard", which just installs all standard priority packages, and another
is "manual", which, as a special case, runs aptitude interactively to
select what to install.

According to this, we could ask science-related packages maintainers to add
the tag (I don't clearly understando this paragraph, but I think is mainly
because I didn't used tasksel before to set packages :-) )

Perhaps (and I am just thinking in loud voice... and my fingers writting
it ;-) ) we could do a package that adds the necessary tasks?

Opinios welcomed :-)

Regards, Lisandro

--
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/