Re: Installing the whole set of scientific packages

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 12:02:03AM -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> El Lunes 12 Febrero 2007 23:49, Damián Viano escribió:
> > 	I think a tasksel task would also be very reasonable approach here,
> > and, maybe be easier to maintain than a meta-package?
> >
> > 	It would also be nice since is quite a specific task and one would be
> > prompted during d-i which would pretty much make Debian science-ready
> > out of the box.
>
> Complicated to do? I _never_ did something related to debian packages, but
> perhaps it's a good time to start :-)

Not really, /usr/share/doc/tasksel/README.gz should explain everything
needed. I see two options: we could start with a simple list of packages
or an automatic way, such as a script consulting debtags info.

I think that's a good start and maybe afterwards we could move to file
wishlist bugs to the listed packages to add a Task: science to their
control and eventually use the more automated task-fields. I'm not sure
if/why this approach would be better but seems to be the most used, by
far.

I guess a meta-package wouldn't be much more work either but maybe
more hassle to maintain than a simple .desc file (don't know how hard
would it be with cdd-dev, as Andreas suggested).

--
Damián Viano(Des)              ¯ ¯ - _           _ - ¯ ¯
GPG: 0x6EB95A6F                 Debian ¯-_GNU_-¯ Linux