Re: timetabling for Universities

Hello Florian,
On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 22:19, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> First of all I want to thank Stephan, Tim and Alexander for their suggestions.
> At least I can now be relatively certain that I did not miss some obvious
> existing solution for my specific timetabling problem.
>
> I have come up with two more options:
>
> 1) It may be possible to bend a groupware application into something which
> vaguely fits my needs. I could divide the students into teams according to their
> semester and then use the groupware server to schedule lectures as appointments
> for the various teams, with the lecture halls as resources. Both opengroupware
> and egroupware seem to be able to handle this, including detection of scheduling
> and resource conflicts.

This roadmap to solve the timetable sounds very much like "project
management".

> 2) I have also played around a bit with PostgreSQL and come up with a first
> crude version of a database which will fit my requirements. I will now probably
> just write some bash-wrappers so that the user does not need to know SQL in
> order to schedule lectures and retrieve timetables. This will not be as pretty
> as the GUIs of option 1, but it is of course much more flexible (and I can use
> perl + latex to produce nice PDF-timetables directly from the info in the
> database).

Seems to be more flexible and more important, more programable via
scripts.

> Please let me know if anybody has additional ideas.

If I remember correct, I read about some project management SW which
uses a SQL db as backend, some time ago.  But cannot remember its name.
Maybe this could be the way to cover both aspects.

Kind Regards,
Thomas