timetabling for Universities

Dear all,

We are currently looking for timetabling software which is suitable for
use at a University (a physics faculty in our case). We have a lot of
courses with widely varying numbers of hours in each study year, which
rules out genetic optimizers such as tablix and fet since they assume a
weekly or bi-weekly recurring schedule for the whole duration of a
year/term. I have also looked at SchoolTool, but again I ran into the
limitation that courses cannot start and stop in the middle of a term.
(I could of course define every calendar week as a separate term, but
that seems a bit impractical to me.) Do any of you have further
suggestions for schedule optimizers or calendaring/resource management
packages which might meet our requirements?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
                 Florian