Re: About ROOT [Was: Re: ROOT as A replacement for gnuplot]

Christian Holm Christensen wrote:

The build system of ROOT is horrible - I should know, I helped make it
initially.  Back when we did the build system, Autotools was really an
option, for a verity of reasons.   The foremost was (and still is), that
Autotools (Libtool in particular) doesn't support MSVC well.  Secondly,
at that time, it was possible to make a non-recursive build system, and
thirdly, the upstream developers wasn't that familiar with Autotools and
it sort of looked too complicated for their taste.

I am not sure which libtool you've used, but I know that someone working on a project I'm involved with has, or is in the process of, adding msvc support to libtool - in fact it may even be in libtool cvs now.

Whether lots of support is required in the other autotools, I do not know.

--
Neil