Re: ROOT as A replacement for gnuplot

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 15:23, Christian Holm Christensen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 21:28 -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 09:23:28PM +0200, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> > > An official package would be nice, now. Anyone available to sponsor and reviewing?
> > I was about to buzz my regular sponsor and decided to check packages
> > first. I've grabbed random couple of packages, ran lintian on it.
> > Results are:
> >

> > sonyboy[0] /tmp>lintian libroot5.03_5.03.01_i386.deb
> > E: libroot5.03: shlib-with-non-pic-code usr/lib/root/5.03/libSrvAuth.so.5.03
>
> That's a problem in the ROOT build system right now.  Somehow, some of
> the developers of ROOT does not understand that to make a real shared
> library, you need `-fPIC' for GCC.  The build system of ROOT is an ugly
> hack, which works most of the time though - but it's a hack.   I'll
> complain upstream.

Just my few thaughts:
I had a quick look at the sources.  Really large.
>From my point of view, it would profit if the build system will be
converted to use
  autoheader, autoconf,automake,configure, libtool

Do I understand the source correct,
ROOT comes with a copy of 'cint'.
Is this necessary or can it use an existing 'cint'?
Would reduce the source by ~15% and also the configure/compile effort.

[snip}

Kind Regards,
Thomas