Re: ROOT as A replacement for gnuplot

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 09:55:17PM +0200, Thomas Walter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 15:23, Christian Holm Christensen wrote:
> > Hi there,

> > > I was about to buzz my regular sponsor and decided to check packages
> > > first. I've grabbed random couple of packages, ran lintian on it.
> > > Results are:

> > That's a problem in the ROOT build system right now.  Somehow, some of
> > the developers of ROOT does not understand that to make a real shared
> > library, you need `-fPIC' for GCC.  The build system of ROOT is an ugly
> > hack, which works most of the time though - but it's a hack.   I'll
> > complain upstream.

> Do I understand the source correct,
> ROOT comes with a copy of 'cint'.
> Is this necessary or can it use an existing 'cint'?
> Would reduce the source by ~15% and also the configure/compile effort.
What is cint?  I can't find it in debian/main.  If it is available
there, and root can make use of it, then it should use that copy
(potentially smaller root source tarball, less build time, bug fixes +
security updates + general aethetic appeal).  If it *could* be useful
to other packages, then root maintainers should consider packaging it
separately (if root uses a pristine copy).

--
Clear skies,
Justin