Re: ROOT as A replacement for gnuplot

Justin Pryzby wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 09:55:17PM +0200, Thomas Walter wrote:

>> Do I understand the source correct,
>> ROOT comes with a copy of 'cint'.
>> Is this necessary or can it use an existing 'cint'?
>> Would reduce the source by ~15% and also the configure/compile effort.

> What is cint?  I can't find it in debian/main.  If it is available
> there, and root can make use of it, then it should use that copy
> (potentially smaller root source tarball, less build time, bug fixes +
> security updates + general aethetic appeal).  If it *could* be useful
> to other packages, then root maintainers should consider packaging it
> separately (if root uses a pristine copy).

Cint is a C/C++ interpreter.  (sick and twisted, I know :-)  It was
written by Masaharu Goto and is currently a basic portion of ROOT, so a
version of it is incorporated in the ROOT source tarball.  See
http://root.cern.ch/root/Cint.html

There was a package of "pure" Cint in Debian at one time but it was
removed due to having RC bugs several years ago.  IIRC the reason was an
FTBFS that was never fixed on m68k.  You can still find the old package
on snapshot.debian.net.

IMO it would be ideal for Root to use an existing version of Cint but it
will be faster to upload Root source that builds its own Cint binary (in
the "root-cint" binary package).  Also I don't know if Root is
compatible with "pure" Cint.

regards,