Re: transition to new policy of other packages / transitional packages

Hi!

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 07:41:06AM -0300, Antonio Terceiro wrote:
> Cédric Boutillier escreveu isso aí:
> >
> > I suggest that if there is no other comment or modification proposed, we
> > (I?) send it to debian-devel in a week (Friday April, 20th, 22:00 UTC),
> > because time runs fast, and there is a lot of work to do. What to you
> > think?

> I think that maybe we should send it to debian-devel-announce, since not
> everyone reads debian-devel.

> And we should probably ask the release team what they think before
> reaching to a wider audience. For example, they might suggest ways in
> which we can act in the case the transition is not 100% finished at
> freeze time.

Ok. So I drafted a possible message for the release time in the wiki
  http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Drafts/StateOfTransitionNewPolicyReleaseTeam
also reproduced below. Given my not so big experience in the team the
lack of previous communication with the Release Team, I'm kindly asking
again you all for review/comment/edit of this text. Shall we try to send
the mail to the Release Team on Friday night, and delay the other one
until we get an answer?

Thanks!

Cédric

——————————————————————————————
Subject: State of the transition to the new Ruby policy

Dear Release Team,

Since the beginning of the development cycle for Wheezy [0], the Ruby
team has been working on several big changes in the Ruby policy for a
better support of several versions of the interpreter and improvement of
the global quality of Ruby packages.

    0: http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=681

The packaging rules are described on a dedicated Wiki page [1] and
in a draft of the Ruby policy [2].

    1: http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Packaging
    2: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-ruby-extras/ruby-policy.git;=summary

The Ruby team has been putting a lot of effort [3] during
this development cycle to convert the packages they maintain
to this new policy (270+ packages).

    3: http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/wheezy/

Unfortunately, many packages not maintained by the team
still follow the now obsolete policy used for Squeeze.
It is vital that the transition finishes before the
release of Wheezy, in order to ensure coherence in the
installation and use of the Ruby libraries and
applications in the stable release. In order to talk the
maintainers of these packages into converting them to
the new policy, we want to send an email to
debian-devel-announce@l.d.o with the content below.

However, in case the transition is not completely
finished for the freeze, could you suggest ways in which
the team can act?

Thank you very much,

For the Ruby Team,