Re: transition to new policy of other packages / transitional packages

Cédric Boutillier escreveu isso aí:
> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 01:05:40PM +0200, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> > Hey all,
>
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:50:21AM +0200, Cédric Boutillier wrote:
> > > I wrote a first draft available on gobby.debian.org, under
> > > Teams/RubyExtras/transition_to_new_policy.txt. Before more polishing,
> > > could you please read/review/criticise/edit/improve (constructively :D)?
>
> > I have made some changes:
> > - Made text flow consistent (fixed vs flowed, couldn't help myself).
> > - Add a note in the naming conventions section that applications are
> >   supposed to be called just "foo".
> > - Add a link to our packaging guidelines; made the link to the gem2deb
> >   transition instructions more specific as the wiki page is rather large.
>
> Thank you Paul, as well as Antonio, for your review.
>
> > Another note (for which I made no changes yet):
> > You mention that we want to have maintainers outside the PRE team to
> > also transition their package to improve statistics.  This suggests that
> > this is our main aim.  I think the most important thing is to have a
> > higher quality of Ruby packages and also a more consistent experience of
> > installing and using them.  That is why this transiions _needs_ to be
> > finished before Wheezy freezes.  We will present a mess to the user and
> > a hassle to maintain to ourselves if we don't.
> > So, I suggest a stronger formulation and leave the part about the
> > statistics out...  they are just there to show us the progress.
>
> I've imported the text to the wiki, as it might be easier to work with:
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/Drafts/StateOfTransitionNewPolicy
>
> I tried to address the issue you raised by rewriting the paragraph
> between link 0: and 1:. (I left a mention the first bit about the
> statistics because it illustrates the discussion somehow). I also added
> a few words about gem2deb at the end of the introduction, just to say it
> exists, and it is a nice tool, not to discourage people before the end.
>
> I suggest that if there is no other comment or modification proposed, we
> (I?) send it to debian-devel in a week (Friday April, 20th, 22:00 UTC),
> because time runs fast, and there is a lot of work to do. What to you
> think?

I think that maybe we should send it to debian-devel-announce, since not
everyone reads debian-devel.

And we should probably ask the release team what they think before
reaching to a wider audience. For example, they might suggest ways in
which we can act in the case the transition is not 100% finished at
freeze time.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>