Re: Release goal proposal: remove yada

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 13:07:05 +0100, Tim Retout wrote:
On 4 August 2011 12:52, Ricardo Mones <ricardo@mones.org> wrote:
 According the bug response, the only change to build depends should be the yada version number (which would become 0.55), and rules should be the same. If that's not true then I would agree the problem is more serious.

Yep, that is not true, and I would like the release team to override
the maintainer's opinion of the severity.  Here's what happens if
aylet is rebuilt after just 'dch -i', for example:

$ diffstat aylet-debdiff
 changelog |    6 ++++++
 control   |    2 +-
 rules     |    6 +++---
[...]
Yes, perhaps we could make dependencies on old versions of yada RC,
but the real problem here is yada.  This is completely different to
debhelper compat versions.

To get a fuller picture, what are the changes being made to each of the files in question and when/where are they being made? You mentioned earlier that cleaning the package would lead to changes being made - it sounds like the above build may well fail part of the "autobuilding" section of the RC policy; specifically:

	debian/rules must include the targets: clean, binary, binary-arch,
	binary-indep and build; and these targets cannot require any
	interaction with the user. The build target must not do anything that
	requires root privileges. These targets must not change the package's
	build-dependencies or the changelog.

Regards,

Adam