Re: Release goal proposal: remove yada

On 4 August 2011 10:07, Ricardo Mones <mones@debian.org> wrote:
>  I don't think this situation is even possible: you have to freeze things
> before release, and that includes helpers. And if you have to do that because
> a grave problem on the helper affecting packages build process you should
> issue binNMUs on the packages using it to ensure the problem is solved with
> the new helper version before releasing.

Right; but the helper being frozen does not mean that we binNMU every
package depending on it?

See for example:
yada version 0.55 is in stable.
aylet - Build-Depends: yada (>= 0.53) in stable.
cvsconnect - Build-Depends: yada (>= 0.48) in stable.
etc.

If you try rebuilding these in a stable chroot, you'll get a different
debian/rules and debian/control in the new source package.  If yada
were actively maintained, the changes could be a lot more drastic.

The best, of course, are found in experimental:
libhttp-davserver-perl: Build-Depends: yada (>= 0.21)
securecgi: Build-Depends: yada (>= 0.23) and FTBFS because automake1.8
no longer exists - I'll go and file a bug.

I strongly suspect the ftp-masters will not allow packages through NEW
that contain yada, but that it's not in the FAQ because not that many
people bother to try.

Kind regards,

--
Tim Retout <diocles@debian.org>