Re: Freeze exception for dpkg 1.14.18

On 26/04/08 at 16:09 +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > I must say that I'm a bit surprised (and concerned) by the communication
> > between the release team and the rest of the developers.
>
> Eh, sorry?
>
> The main task of the release team is coordinating the release prozess.
> Making up the freeze guidelines is one important part of it. We also
> publish them early and often.

> However, if people start to ignore the guidelines of the release team,
> and claim that they are not making errors and are allowed to set their
> own guidelines, that cannot work. *Everybody* has special excuses why
> his package needs an excemption, and guidelines are there to prevent
> that.

In the past, I think that decisions from the release team were taken
based on reasonable discussions, data, evidence, etc. This is why
everybody basically agreed to follow them. In this discussion, it sounds
a bit like the only things considered by the RT are:
- freeze guidelines (and "guidelines" should be different from "dogma",
  or you should just rename that)
- Raphael Hertzog's personality.

> I'm quite happy that many developers understand that, and support
> releases of Debian. I would be happy if Raphael Hertzog would also
> support Debian releasing, and doesn't make up his own rules.

Saying that Raphael doesn't support Debian releasing is just ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm happy to see that the very recent discussions on IRC seem to
be on a better path.

Hugs and kisses,