Re: apt transition - please bump urgency of libept

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 09:48:48AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> So, as maintainer of C++ packages that use apt and are involved in apt
> transitions every so often, I would like to have some sort of handy way
> to know "you're free to upload to sid" or "hang on a sec, or upload to
> experimental".  A way that possibly doesn't require following both
> deity@ and debian-release@ regularly.

- run the commands "grep-excuses libept; grep-excuses libept/i386"
- look for any Depends: lines
- look at the testing transition page for those dependencies on
  bjorn.haxx.se: http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=apt
- if it looks hairy, ask

That's going to catch 99% of the problematic cases, and is far more scalable
than to have the release team try to notify all affected maintainers
whenever there's an ongoing transition.  (Perhaps not more scalable than
having dput warn, but the above is something any maintainer can do for
themselves today.)