Re: apt transition - please bump urgency of libept

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 08:32:31PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   I wonder if it would be a good idea to announce apt transitions on
> deity@l.d.o?  aptitude is not special in its dependency structure; any
> upload of an apt-related package will do the same thing, and I think
> maintainers of those packages are more likely to be subscribed to deity
> than to -release.  I could be totally mistaken in this belief, of
> course.

I'm with you.  I'd even be happy if a mail was sent to all maintainers
of rdepends of apt when a tricky transition is in place.

It's quite demotivating to work 2 days on a new version, work another
day on testing it and all rdepends, and finally manage to upload it, and
the first reaction you get is not "ehi, that's cool!" but "cluebat that
guy, he broke the transition".  There were many things I was looing
forward to do after my last libept upload, that I just postponed to
avoid doing them in a moment where they could bring me more frustration
than satisfaction.

OTOH I'm sure it's even more demotivating for Frans to have to wait
weeks before uploading this cool new package.

So, as maintainer of C++ packages that use apt and are involved in apt
transitions every so often, I would like to have some sort of handy way
to know "you're free to upload to sid" or "hang on a sec, or upload to
experimental".  A way that possibly doesn't require following both
deity@ and debian-release@ regularly.

I suppose I'm not the only one, and since libapt-pkg is actively
maintained and a very useful piece of software, I expect there will be
even more in the future.

Ciao,

Enrico