Re: postgresql transition/upgrade strategy

> Because of the transition to the multi-version postgresql packaging, we will
> have the situation in etch that someone who just does "apt-get install
> postgresql" (as has been the custom for many years) will always end up with
> the old version 7.4 instead of the newer 8.1.
[...]
> A couple of ideas that have been thrown around:
>
> - Prevent new installations of postgresql (without -x.y); allow only upgrades.
>
> - Depend on both 7.4 and 8.1.

Depend on postgresql-8.1 | postgresql-7.4? The problem is that I'm not
entirely sure how the packages around the actual server depend on each
other, so it could be that apt (and aptitude) solve this by install
postgresql-8.1. Could you test to upgrade a clean chroot with such a
dependency?

In all cases, this needs to be documented in the release notes, could
you file a bug against the release-notes package to ensure that this
issue will be included?

Marc
--
BOFH #198:
Post-it Note Sludge leaked into the monitor.