Re: Sarge -> Etch upgrade issue

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 02:39:30PM +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:

> * Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [060908 20:36]:
> [ apt-get dist-upgrade to etch doesn't install debianrchive-keyring and
>   gnupg ]

> > > Shouldn't the Recommends: debian-archive-keyring be enought?  AFAIK
> > > the Release Notes recommend using aptitude instead of apt-get.  And
> > > aptitude respects recommends should pull in debian-archive-keyring,
> > > which depends on gnupg.
> > Ah, good catch.  (I wonder why apt has a separate Suggests: gnupg then?)

> > This means that users who dist-upgrade using aptitude, pulling in
> > Recommends, should not have this problem; so the most that should be needed
> > here is release notes documentation.  Assuming someone can test that this
> > works as expected?

> Uhm... seems that I was to fast.  I just did a small test (created a new
> sarge chroot, changed sources.list, tried a dist-upgrade), and even when
> using aptitude neither debian-archive-keyring nor gnupg are installed.

> While apt and apt-utils are upgraded, I get the following note from
> aptitude:

> =====
> The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
>   aptitude-doc-en debian-archive-keyring libtasn1-2-bin locales mtools
> =====

Ok, that was a possibility I had in mind; AIUI aptitude (frequently?
always?) ignores Recommends: when upgrading a package that's already
installed.

That leaves two solutions that I see:

- ask the apt maintainer to bump the d-a-k recommends to a depends
- document in the release notes the need to install d-a-k before
  dist-upgrading, and document how to adjust /etc/apt/apt.conf if the user
  has already skipped this step in error.

Like you, I prefer the first option.

Would someone please file a serious bug against apt for this?

Thanks,