Re: which 2.6 kernel will be in sarge?

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 07:39:48PM +0100, Jean-Yves LENHOF wrote:
> Le mardi 08 février 2005 à 08:13 -0800, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:55:22PM -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> <snip>
> > The plan is to release d-i RC3 with a 2.6.8 kernel.  There are currently
> > no plans for a further d-i release for sarge after RC3.

> > This means that at least the xfs and reiserfs corruption problems should be
> > addressed in d-i RC3, IMHO -- if nothing else, by removing them as options
> > from the installer.  This is far inferior to actually fixing the filesystem
> > issues, of course, but that fix is intrusive and is unlikely to be
> > backported to 2.6.8 in the requisite timeframe.

> That sound a regression for me because people with a 2.4 kernel on woody
> with xfs file systems would'nt be able to use the power of udev, xfs,
> reiserfs ... with a 2.6 kernel

Debian did not ship any xfs-capable kernels with woody.

I'm not aware that reiserfs has *ever* been stable.

No one has proposed disabling either of these filesystems in the kernel,
only removing them as options from the installer.  There is therefore no
regression for users of the woody kernels.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer