Re: which 2.6 kernel will be in sarge?

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:55:22PM -0500, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> Sorry for this question, but I'm wondering whether we yet know which
> 2.6 kernel will be in sarge.  At the moment, two or three of my
> machines have show-stopper problems with the 2.6.8 kernel, but all of
> them work well with the 2.6.10 kernel.  If it looks like there will be
> no plans to allow 2.6 kernels other than 2.6.8 into sarge, I may need
> to spend some time diagnosing and reporting these (recently
> discovered) problems.  If sarge will have 2.6.10, then I won't bother.

The plan is to release d-i RC3 with a 2.6.8 kernel.  There are currently
no plans for a further d-i release for sarge after RC3.

This means that at least the xfs and reiserfs corruption problems should be
addressed in d-i RC3, IMHO -- if nothing else, by removing them as options
from the installer.  This is far inferior to actually fixing the filesystem
issues, of course, but that fix is intrusive and is unlikely to be
backported to 2.6.8 in the requisite timeframe.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer