Re: libstdc++ configuratrion

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 12:30:43PM +0100, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 04:27:53PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 04:01:11PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > >
> > > The proposal by upstream is to configure libstdc++ to use the new
> > > allocator again (the default one).
> > >
> > > The change will break some libraries, as seen in #336114, which can be
> > > fixed by rebuilding these libraries against a reconfigured libstdc++.
> > >
> > >  * Identify all library packages depending on libstdc++ and
> > >    exporting *mt_alloc* symbols.
> > >
> > >  * Rebuild these libraries and depending packages. Note that
> > >    partial upgrades won't work with this procedure. To make this work, we
> > >    would have to change the package name for all libraries affected.
> >
> > What do you propose as the new name for these library packages?
> > (Apparently, these will then be the *real* "c2" libraries... but also
> > incompatible with those already shipped by other Debian-derived distros
> > under that name, such as Ubuntu...)  Do we have any notion of how many libs
> > are affected by this?
>
> currently unstable has boost 1.33.0, which would be ready for testing if
> it did not depend on gcc >= 4.0.2-3.  my understanding is that gcc-4.0,
> as it is now, will never enter testing, so neither current boost will.

if instead such migration is someway possible, i'd continue bug fixing
to let a better 1.33.0 enter testing.

is there any timeframe for the new allocator restore?

> once libstdc++ gets back to new allocator, boost will probably need
> a change of name and new dependency version on gcc 4.0 (and a rebuild
> of all of its rdepends, like kdeedu). in this case i would push boost
> 1.33.1, due to be released in few days, and take this wave of rdepends
> rebuilds.

correction: boost 1.33.1 is scheduled for release on 5th December.

cheers
domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://people.debian.org/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50