Re: Please drop cairo libraries from sarge

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 04:41:31PM +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:
> > Would it be feasible to rebuild libgpewidget1 without the dependency on
> > libcairo1 and libpixman1?  If so, that might be a solution.  Otherwise, if
> > the maintainer feels that these libraries truly are not suitable for
> > release, I'm not sure what option we have other than removing the lot.

> There seem to be some other packages dependending on libcairo1 too.

> $ apt-cache rdepends libcairo1
> libcairo1
> Reverse Depends:
>   oregano
>   libpoppler0-glib
>   libpoppler0
>   libgpewidget1
>   libcairo1-dev
>   evince
> $ apt-cache rdepends libpoppler0
> libpoppler0
> Reverse Depends:
>   libpoppler0-qt
>   libpoppler0-glib
>   libpoppler-dev
>   evince
> $ apt-cache rdepends evince
> evince
> Reverse Depends:

poppler isn't significant here, it's not in sarge.

> My preference is to remove cairo but I don't see it as a terrible
> problem if it stays, but I defer to debian-release people.

Given that there are packages that depend on it and which people want to see
included in sarge, I would only remove it if you felt this was absolutely
necessary or if it was RC-buggy.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer