Re: Please drop cairo libraries from sarge

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 09:37:55PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 08:32:08PM +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:
> > The cairo libraries are undergoing a large API change and shipping them
> > in a release would be a bad idea at this time.  I'd request that they
> > are removed from testing/sarge.

> > The packages are:
> >   Source: libcairo  binary: libcairo1 libcairo1-dev
> >   Source: libpixman binary: libpixman1 libpixman1-dev
> >   Source: glitz     binary: libglitz-glx1 libglitz-glx1-dev libglitz1
> > libglitz1-dev

> > As far as I know there are no packages that depend on them so removal
> > shouldn't be too problematic.

> Both the 'oregano' and 'libgpewidget' source packages (build-) depend on
> libcairo and are in testing, and a whole bunch of gpe-related packages
> in turn depend on libgpewidget. I don't think removal is an option, as
> the cluster of packages indrectly depending on libcairo is really big.

OTOH, an RC bug was just filed against oregano stating that this package is
unusable due to cairo-related breakage.

Would it be feasible to rebuild libgpewidget1 without the dependency on
libcairo1 and libpixman1?  If so, that might be a solution.  Otherwise, if
the maintainer feels that these libraries truly are not suitable for
release, I'm not sure what option we have other than removing the lot.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer