Re: Please drop cairo libraries from sarge

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 09:37:55PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 08:32:08PM +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:
> > > The cairo libraries are undergoing a large API change and shipping them
> > > in a release would be a bad idea at this time.  I'd request that they
> > > are removed from testing/sarge.
>
> > > The packages are:
> > >   Source: libcairo  binary: libcairo1 libcairo1-dev
> > >   Source: libpixman binary: libpixman1 libpixman1-dev
> > >   Source: glitz     binary: libglitz-glx1 libglitz-glx1-dev libglitz1
> > > libglitz1-dev
>
> > > As far as I know there are no packages that depend on them so removal
> > > shouldn't be too problematic.
>
> > Both the 'oregano' and 'libgpewidget' source packages (build-) depend on
> > libcairo and are in testing, and a whole bunch of gpe-related packages
> > in turn depend on libgpewidget. I don't think removal is an option, as
> > the cluster of packages indrectly depending on libcairo is really big.
>
> OTOH, an RC bug was just filed against oregano stating that this package is
> unusable due to cairo-related breakage.

and I've found the 4-line patch to libpixman that fixed the bug
reported on cairo as #309674 (pulled from the new libpixman release
from yesterday).  I'll email it to the bug shortly.

If it's the cause of the RC oregano bug #309645, it doesn't say. 309645
says:
  The bug is actually in the cairo library, but the buggy function has
  been dropped in the CVS version, and there's noone wishing to fix the
  old one.
which doesn't really help me.  what function?

> Would it be feasible to rebuild libgpewidget1 without the dependency on
> libcairo1 and libpixman1?  If so, that might be a solution.  Otherwise, if
> the maintainer feels that these libraries truly are not suitable for
> release, I'm not sure what option we have other than removing the lot.

There seem to be some other packages dependending on libcairo1 too.

$ apt-cache rdepends libcairo1
libcairo1
Reverse Depends:
  oregano
  libpoppler0-glib
  libpoppler0
  libgpewidget1
  libcairo1-dev
  evince
$ apt-cache rdepends libpoppler0
libpoppler0
Reverse Depends:
  libpoppler0-qt
  libpoppler0-glib
  libpoppler-dev
  evince
$ apt-cache rdepends evince
evince
Reverse Depends:

My preference is to remove cairo but I don't see it as a terrible
problem if it stays, but I defer to debian-release people.

Dave