Re: Packaging Hybrid R/Python Software

Andreas,

I've made some progress with the packaging process, but as per usual, that progress has brought some new questions to mind:

First, I realized that the itp_from_debian_dir command is not available on the current version of dh-r I have installed. (I installed it using apt on the Focal release of Ubuntu)  I know you initially recommended that I get the package from the unstable branch on Debian.  I assume that this version has the itp_from_debian_dir command while the release I am using does not.  With that in mind, what is the best way to get access to the unstable release?  Is there any reasonable way to get it running on my Ubuntu installation, or is this as bad of an idea as I suspect it may be?  Would I just be better off managing an unstable Debian installation alongside my Ubuntu installation?

Second, while pondering (and learning more about) the split between Debian and Ubuntu, I realized that I am not entirely sure where these packages that we are uploading are going to end up.  Will they be available on the stable release of Debian, or only the unstable release for some time?  If I also want them to be available on the current LTS release of Ubuntu, do I need to go through a separate sponsor, or is that something that you do by default as part of this process?

Finally, while working to package MSIseq, one of the dependencies of my R package, I realized that the package has been pulled from the CRAN repository due to the maintainer's email "bouncing."  It appears that I can still package MSIseq by running dh-make-R after unpacking the tarball for MSIseq that is available on the CRAN archive, but is this even considered acceptable practice?  If not, what steps need to be taken to get the MSIseq package up on the CRAN repository again?

Thanks again for everything,
Ben