Re: Packaging Hybrid R/Python Software

Hi Ben,

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 09:06:51PM +0000, Morledge-Hampton, Benjamin Stuart wrote:
> > That's strange.  I tried to reproduce this here but I get only
> r-cran-lomb (which is the right one and should contain a Git repository
> including the debian/ dir).
>
> I've realized that my problems stemmed from running dh-make-R instead of prepare_missing_cran_package.  When I run the latter command, I get the desired behavior.  My apologies for not realizing this sooner.

OK, good that this is settled.

> > You can see an example what needs to be changed in a manual commit.
> Feel free to add your user ID to the Uploaders field and send an
> ITP for that package.
>
> This was my first time filing an ITP.  I used the "bugreport wnpp" command and did my best to follow the prompts that were given to me to submit the ITP for r-cran-lomb.  I believe I filled in everything correctly, but to tell the truth, I'm not really sure how to tell for sure that everything is ok.  How will I know if I performed this process properly?

You can check the bug page[1] and you should have received an e-mail
that the bug was created.  (As I said there is also a script
itp_from_debian_dir which fills in all the questions for you when
calling in the Git repository - but from a pedagocial point of view its
correct that you did this step at least once manually.)

> How long does it take for the package to be available to general users?

To be clear here: We have just created a Git repository with the
packaging.  From the existence of this repository *nothing* will happen.
A Debian Developer (like me) needs to upload it to the new queue and
than we need to wait for the new processing by ftpmaster.  Currently
this takes about 1-3 days.

But if *you* want to be the maitainer of the package you need to get
a login on salsa.debian.org and become a member of the team.

> Also, do I need to credit you somewhere in the bug report since you initiated the repository?

Currently there is my Copyright for the packaging (autoinjected) and I'm
also changelog owner and Uploader (in d/control).  I'd prefer if you add
yourself to Uploaders if you intend to maintain this package.  You should
also insert the ITP bug number into d/changelog.  Once you have done this
I will upload the package.

> Also, I did blatantly copy the long description you provided in the debian/control file for the ITP.  Is that alright?

Yes sure.  The itp_from_debian_dir script is copying this verbosely.

> I am willing to repeat this process for the other R packages my project depends on, but I'd also like to catch any mistakes I am making early on, rather than after I've repeated them for several packaging attempts :P

That was my point to deliver this example.  There is no need to worry
about copying stuff.  Finally everything was autogenerated.

> Finally, is it reasonable for the moment to also upload these packages to my ppa so I can test whether or not they provide the required dependencies for my larger project?

That's your decision.  I'm not sure what you want to approach.  I think
once the package is officially available it is not the best idea to have
competing packages hanging around.

> I'll admit, I'm a little anxious to see results, and it would please me greatly if I could at least get my software to an installable state through my ppa.

There is no real conflict between your ppa and the Debian repository, IMHO.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/975091