Packaging Hybrid R/Python Software

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about packaging some software for debian that is dependent on both custom R and Python packages.

First, what is the proper way to package such a project?  The python portion of the project is highly dependent on the R package I have created, but the R package stands on its own fairly well.  Would it make sense to package the R project on its own and then package the python code, listing the R package as a dependency for installation?  Alternatively, would it make more sense to just package everything together since it really does run best that way?  If I were to package both together, how would this look using debhelper?  Would a debian/rules file with the following two lines be acceptable?

dh $@ --with python3 --buildsystem=pybuild
dh $@ --with R --buildsystem=R

Second, the R package I am planning on distributing has some dependencies that are not available in the default apt repositories (lomb, msiseq, and deconstructsigs).  Do I need to package these for debian as well in order to deploy my project?  Is that something I can do without explicit permission from the original R package creators?  Alternatively, since I am testing all this in a ppa at the moment, can I upload the packages there without stepping on any toes?

I greatly appreciate any help you are able to give.

Ben