Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 07:07:06PM +0200, Benjamin Bayart wrote:
> Le Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 05:41:54PM +0200, Frank Lichtenheld:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:25:50PM +0200, Benjamin Bayart wrote:
> > > Le Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 04:14:52AM +0900, Masayuki Hatta:
> > > By the way I do have some other patches on this package, but there seem
> > > to be no emergency to submit :-)
> >
> > You know #274276 ?
>
> Wow. An intersting view of the world. If I don't know how to make it
> work, I drop it. If someone need it, I'll drop that too.
>
> Of course you can go that way. For me the end of the road is of no
> interest: only large scale packages used by large number of users, with
> no diversity, no backward compatibility, etc. Scripts made for sarge
> using dvidvi will probably not run anymore on sid within a few days,
> according to what I read.
>
> As smooth an upgrade as with any other distribution of any operating
> system, free or not.

Ok, I can understand that it makes it you sad that a package you like
and use should be removed from Debian unstable. Let's state some
facts though:

1) 9716 Source packages isn't exactly "only large scale packages"
2) There are still way more packages added to Debian than removed each
   month (although that's an estimation, not a proven fact)
3) There are about 1000 Debian developers and thousands of Debian
   users out there.
4) Not one of them has offered to maintain dvidvi, not you, not the
   maintainers of the packages that depend on it
5) Packages can be readded to Debian, this usually requires between
   a few hours and two weeks. Before removing a package, we usually
   wait months or years after it was orphaned.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/