Re: Motif

Hi Luca,

[What would be the appropriate mail-list or bug-tracker for this
discussion to happen in the open? Should I add it to the transition bug?]

On 20-05-13 09:03, Luca Falavigna wrote:
> 2013/5/18 Paul Gevers <elbrus@debian.org>:
>> While we are waiting for the release team to respond to my questions
>> about the transition from lesstif2 to motif [1], I am considering to
>> have the motif package updated in non-free first.
>
> I don't think that would work because autobuilders don't usually pick
> packages from experimental.

I don't understand exactly what you mean here. Do you mean "don't
usually pick packages from non-free"? Ideally we would have the new
package in experimental/main so the build-dependencies could also check
that their packages work as expected in experimental (they build, see
below).

> On the other hand, having it available
> would help maintainers starting to consider potential build failures.

The latter is partially what I meant, we already checked simple build
failure.

> I'd prefer to wait for the final say from the Release Team about this
> matter. That would probably require a preliminar test by your side,
> checking how many packages would fail to build with motif.

As mentioned [1] in the transition bug [2], we have done the tests
already [3], albeit in an Ubuntu PPA. We have already notified [4] all
build dependencies that need some minor adjustments (adding explicit
build dependencies) of the fact. So yes, there is some trivial
additional work to be done besides the change of build dependency on
lesstif2-dev -> libmotif-dev.

So far, I haven't heard a word from the RT, that is why I am also
seeking for other decent ways of getting some exposure. The transition
is a little strange, because of the move from non-free and the bug in
dak, which prevents uploading to experimental. Staging in experimental
would help, but maybe "staging" in non-free would also help.

My other option is that I create a down-loadable package myself for the
build-dependencies so they can properly test their package, but I
consider that sub-optimal.

Paul

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/708462
[2]