Re: Enabling salsa-ci on all Debian Python Team repos

Hi,

On 2022-09-20 03:09, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> the vast majority of the team members (based on the commits email i
> receive) are uploading the package to the archive at the same time as
> they are pushing a full set of changes to salsa (and sometimes only
> *after* the package has been ACCEPTED); in this case CI runs too late,
> and it has 0 benefit for that specific upload.

Very interesting, I was missing this piece of information. So first do
all the work locally, perform all the testing manually, upload the
package to ftp-master and *then* when you're finished push to Salsa?

What's wrong with pushing your work before uploading to ftp-master
instead? :-)

If you're worried about breaking things, that's what git revert and/or
branches are for. I can maybe imagine that one doesn't like frequent
merge requests and merge commits, you can skip that too: just use a
remote branch for testing and only push to master once happy.

My workflow is roughly:

- while not done:
  - few local commits, binary build, basic local testing
  - git push
  - see if the pipeline is green
- source build, sign, upload

To me this seems a better approach in terms of team collaboration too.
While you iterate on your work it's clear to other team members that
someone is on the package, which may help in terms of avoiding
duplicated efforts.