Re: Enabling salsa-ci on all Debian Python Team repos

> Am 20.09.22 um 16:13 schrieb Emanuele Rocca:
> > Salsa CI is useful because it automatically performs binary/source builds,
> > arm64 crossbuilds, and it runs various pretty important tests such as lintian,
> > piuparts, reproducible build testing, and more. It also runs autopkgtest in
> > LXC.
>
> quite most of these steps I usually need to do locally before I do any
> upload of packages. So I see no real gain to run any pipeline by
> default, for me this would be just burning energy in CPU cycles just for
> "because we can".

exactly this.

the vast majority of the team members (based on the commits email i
receive) are uploading the package to the archive at the same time as
they are pushing a full set of changes to salsa (and sometimes only
*after* the package has been ACCEPTED); in this case CI runs too late,
and it has 0 benefit for that specific upload. For future ones? maybe,
but that's to be proven, and the burden of proof is on the proponent.

Someone with upload rights still need to verify (and build!) a package
locally, so what would be the advantage of this CI for our packages,
given only a very very tiny number of MRs are submitted

i could see the benefit for projects that receive external
contributions and/or are released out-of-sync with such contributions
(say dh-python) but for /packages/, as Carsten said, it's a waste of
CPU time to enable CI, IMO

--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/